Under article 4.2
paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply :
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization.
A short-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following : availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
The entry level salary for this position is US $ 32,079 ( US Dollar) yearly.
MozTrabalha is a 5-year project supported by Sweden that aims at supporting ILO constituents in their task of creating more and better jobs for all Mozambicans.
The project has two components, one aiming to changes at the policy level and another one aiming at work at the micro level.
Three priority sectors and three priority provinces were selected as part of a consultative process, namely : catering, cashew and construction materials.
MozTrabalha puts forward a series of well-tested tools in order to attain results in those sectors, both at macro and micro level.
Among those, one of the most powerful cross cutting strategy is ILO’s Employment Intensive Infrastructure Investments (EIII).
EIII techniques aim to promote the increase in labour intensity in infrastructure projects, replacing the use of capital where it makes economic sense without any losses in quality or delays while maximizing generation of decent jobs through social contracting in the local communities.
More specifically, speaking about ILO’s EIII support in Mozambique, the organization will provide technical support to the Government of Mozambique to ensure pro-employment investment strategies are mainstreamed in the national employment policy and other related employment and infrastructure programmes.
Through EIII MozTrabalha will also ensure that sustainable public procurement policies and legal framework are applied to increase participation of small-scale enterprises and communities in infrastructure delivery.
In addition, EIII will be implemented in combination with the promotion of the construction materials value-chain.
Reporting Line :
The National Project Officer will be responsible for supporting the implementation of ILO’s EIII technical assistance activities in Mozambique focusing on the development of innovative models of infrastructure delivery that promote decent work through application of labour intensive construction techniques and use of alternative materials and supporting social partners in upgrading their skills in order to facilitate the adoption of such models.
Description of Duties
1. Design, supervise, monitor and evaluate demonstration pilot infrastructural projects that make use of EIII techniques and local and / or alternative materials
2. Provide inputs for a variety of technical documents such as capacity gap analysis, employment impact assessments or employment projection models, among others.
3. Contribute to drafting procurement plans for infrastructure projects,
4. Assist in producing discussion documents, promotional materials and training tools to assist in the development and promotion of employment intensive infrastructure investment policies, strategies and implementation tools for adoption by national partners
5. Assist in the delivery of training in different topics connected to the use of labour intensive techniques in the construction sector to a variety of partners, including policy makers, private sector, small-scale contractors and unskilled workers.
7. Assist in the design and implementation of activities to increase the participation of women in the construction sector and reduce discrimination of women in the job market
8. Participate in the preparation and conduct of conferences, seminars, workshops, training sessions and consultative meetings.
Requires the official to undertake missions to project sites in Mozambique and directly supervise the delivery of infrastructure projects financed by MozTrabalha
9. Brief ILO specialists, project experts, associate experts and visiting officials and provide relevant information on the project.
10. Ensure the visibility of the Government of Mozambique, Government of Sweden and the ILO in all project activities, and
11. Assist in preparing periodic and ad hoc reports on the status of the ILO technical assistance intervention.
12. Participate and organize explorative missions within the country, attend to international seminars, conferences and inter-agency task teams on issues related to employment-intensive investment programme
13. Contribute to the publication of technical papers from which to draw lessons on the approach to employment-intensive investments, and dissemination of the same to ILO constituents, partners within international financial institutions, as well as multi- and bi-lateral funding agencies.
14. Collaborate in the design, and participate in the organization, of analytical and training workshops at national level, delivering training in technical areas intended to build up the capacities of constituents to better integrate employment in national investment policies and strategies.
15. Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor
Required qualifications Education
First university degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or equivalent relevant qualification
At least two years of proven hands on experience managing public or private projects in the construction or civil engineering sector.
Experience conducting technical tests and supervision of works. Knowledge of labour intensive techniques for infrastructure delivery.
Experience with ILO or other UN agency, particularly on technical cooperation projects in the construction or employment promotion sectors, or with Government agencies or departments engaged infrastructure delivery, will be of advantage.
Good command of English and good knowledge of Portuguese.
Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable but not selected for this position can also be offered to be assigned on another temporary position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position .
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED.